Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Confessions of a sports addict


These are the moments that make me think I might have a bit of a problem. I am simultaneously watching Mets-Phillies on TV, DC-Pachuca on an internet stream, and Devils-Rangers on another internet feed. Baseball, soccer, and hockey. And this is with me still low on sleep thanks to March Madness (and needing to finish my taxes) . . .

The Mets are winning 7-1 in the 4th, and the Devils and DC are both in more meaningful games (Eastern Conference playoffs and CONCACAF Champions Cup respectively), so I'll be turning my attention more to the computer as I eat dinner and then calculate sums from this shoebox full of receipts. Moments like these make me worried about myself, but they also make me utterly grateful for the internet. Because seriously, there's really no other way to make these tabulations tolerable . . .

Oh, I forgot the main reason I wanted to write this post: Joe Morgan. He seems like a nice guy, he really does. But when he's working games for ESPN sometimes I'll look down at my arm and wonder whether sawing it off would feel better than listening to Morgan's commentary does. He's just... dumb. His observations make absolutely no sense, like the time he said that he has always thought that starting pitching is the most important part of the rotation. A little while ago he was talking about how this Phillies pitcher was getting lit up because all of his fastballs were straight down the middle... when replays showed them all clearly on the outside or inside edge. He tried to argue that wins are a better metric for judging a pitcher than ERA is (HA!). He just said something about black people being more excitable than other races - not the first time he's made me cringe with his comments on race. He's always going off on tangents on his own career, and he never seems to come back from them. And half the time when he's talking about his (admittedly storied) career he's just making things up. I just can't stand listening to him. ESPN wised up and replaced Dave O'Brien with JP Dellacamera for its MLS broadcasts; will it eventually wake up and gently let Morgan go?

No comments: